I just read two excellent books. They were excellent because they did what good books are supposed to do: create emotion in the reader. The first book is called The Girl Who Could Fly, by Victoria Forester.
It's sort of geared towards younger kids, like maybe grade school, but I read it anyway (in one day) and aaah, it was awesome. Like it says in the blurb, it's a mix of Little House on the Prairie and X-Men, but with kids. And boy, did it create a lot of emotion. It was about how being "normal" isn't necessarily better than being abnormal, and how kids shouldn't let anyone squash what's unique about them. It used children with superpowers to illustrate the point. Also, the Black Moment of this book had me sobbing aloud, which doesn't happen often for me. It was wrenchingly sad. But it ended happy, so it's all good. And there were so many cute parts in the betweentime! I love the main character, Piper McCloud. She reminds me of a child version of Kaylee from Firefly - adorable, optimistic, and not afraid to use the word "ain't." I love her so much.
The second book is called Verge, and sorry, no cover. It's not published yet, although it certainly should be. And Brenticus, I'll have you know that I cried fat, bitter tears all over the keyboard as I was reading it. My ribcage hurts. That's how hard I cried. Good work, sir.
Seriously, it was so sad. BUT SO GOOD. I basically can't tell you anything about it (for fear of spoiling the plot) except that it was awesome and you should all buy it when it comes out. I heard a bit that made me cry at the OYAN workshop, and when I came around to that bit the second time, I cried again, even though I knew it was coming. SOOOO GOOOOOOD. And when I wasn't crying, I was laughing because the main character is so cynically sarcastic and I love him so dearly and by the end I just wanted to give him a big tackle-hug. Actually, I loved all the characters, even the grumpy old man. And the villain. Dude, the villain is so cool. I wish I'd thought of him.
Still gathering up pictures from various other OYANers, so it might be awhile on the OYAN post. In the meantime, random tidbits! The most important being, I have all the David Tennant series of Doctor Who on hold at the library, and in the meantime, I've been watching every Youtube video with him in it that I can get ahold of, because he is brilliant in every way. You guys, I love his gawky face. It makes me so very happeh. I mean, watch this.
SINKHOLE! It's funnier if you know a few things about Doctor Who, but even if not, the accents are precious in their own right. I couldn't breathe the first time I watched this because I was too buys howling with laughter. Oh, and I really want a sonic screwdriver now, because a bunch of people had them at the workshop and I love the swishy whirling noise they make. Also, how handy would it be if I could turn my brother into an action figure of Billie Piper every time he annoyed me?
Commander Kip
"That's breaking and entering!" "What did I break? Sonicking and entering."
Normal is overrated!
No comments:
Post a Comment