Thursday, June 11, 2009

Conception Abbey sketchies

Sorry, I'm actually not dead, contrary to popular belief... hate to disappoint you. XD Just kidding. I'm back with a vengeance!
My choir tour stopped at Conception Abbey on our way to Omaha. We sang a concert in the basilica there, and I sketched in my notebook because my sketchbook was still on the bus.
Oh. My. Word. The basilica was amazing! It had this huge vaulted ceiling that tripled our tone, and an awesome organ, and these gorgeous pictures on the ceiling and walls, and beautiful stained glass windows all over the place. It was the coolest. And there were all sorts of curious Catholic-church props and stuff we don't have in Village Prez. I spent like twenty minutes after the concert just gawking at everything. Fascinating. Oh, plus, there were real live monks walking around, with black robes and long beards and bald heads and sandals and everything. And I think they were all wearing glasses too. A few of them came to hear the concert. It. Was. Awesome.

So the Saint Gabriel statue was out front of the basilica, up near the roof, and I really liked his wings and the drapery of his clothing, so I sketched him down in my fragmentation notebook. And two of the windows we saw that were way too cool not to draw. One of them looked like fish scales. It was pretty sweet stuff. Oh, and the actual statue did have a face, but I chose not to draw it. Nothing ruins a perfectly good sketch like a botched face, right?

Leaving town YET AGAIN on Sunday, for astronaut training camp this time. Four hours down to Hutch. Yayz. Fun. (Not really. But the camp is gonna be awesome.) Then I'm home for exactly one day before I take off again for POE organ camp. On the one day that I'm home, I get to practice my Bach like mad. *sarcastic grin* Goodie. So... don't expect to see too much of Kipin in the next two weeks. See you when I get back!

Commander Kip
I am a high-entropy individual. BEWARE.
Normal is overrated!

No comments: