Sunday, August 25, 2013

Family outing. Killed some demons.

Got the rest of my family to cosplay with me! 


Few notes: There ought to be a lot more buckles, straps, and glowing knives completing these ensembles, but we didn't want to get evicted from the theater, so no. Brennie borrowed my jeans. His legs look super spindly. Also, funny story about that corset; I found it on the lingerie rack at Tuesday Morning, where I work. It was 80% off but had no price tag, and it was a size 4XL. My boss sold it to me for 13 cents, and I sewed the back panel shut to make it fit. Winning.

So, the movie! (Spoilers. Beware.)

What I enjoyed:

(a. The environments. So pretty, and well thought-out. The Institute was gorgeous, internally and externally. (b. Portal references. And clever plot things hingeing on the Portal mechanics. (d. Simon. He was awesome. The scene where he confesses his love for Clary? Ohmygod. His lip goes all wobbly and you can tell he's holding back tears and aaugh I just wanna give the guy a hug. Also Jocelyn. She was perfect. (e. Jace's vulnerable moments. Hnngh. (f. Magnus Bane with no pants. (g. The sword pentacle Valentine used to summon the demons. What a cool aesthetic. (h. Unconscious Alec. Sexy. As. Hell. Although that might be my guys-in-pain and/or unconscious-guys fetish speaking. (i. The greenhouse scene. The kissing was hot. Sprinkler system coming on was a tad cheesy, especially since it was like three minutes AFTER midnight, but overall. And the music they picked for that scene was good too. (j. Finally, Clary. I think she nailed the part. Just the right amounts of fear and resolve. And cuteness. Good for her.

What peeved me:

(a. The entire things flowed well, but it went by too quickly. They just went from one crisis to the next with rarely any beats in between, and part of the beauty of the book is getting to know the characters in their moments of downtime, which I feel like they shortchanged in the movie. The few scenes we did get where it was just the characters interacting were super great. (b. They had to chop a lot out, and they did come up with creative ways to smooth over the holes, but I felt like a few of the things they omitted got omitted because the special effect budget wouldn't cover it. I wanted flying vampire motorcycles, dang it. And I wanted Jace to get his arm broken by the Forsaken, because Jace in pain is sexy. Hurr hurr. (c. Isabelle. She's pretty and all, and badass, but she's just too small and she didn't have the flirty allure of the book-Isabelle. She was very no-nonsense. Did enjoy the flamethrower, though. (d. Magnus coulda been more flamboyant. He was also too straightforward. In fact, most of my issues with the personalities of the characters was that they took themselves too seriously. Jace too. I needed more sardonic grinning from him, and he just sorta stood there and scowled a lot. (e. Thought what they did with the Ace of Cups card started getting a bit repetitive after a bit. It's in the card. Oh, she took it out. Whoops, and she shoved it back in again. Valentine made her take it out. Now it's in again. Just... stop. Once was enough. (Also missed the quote about the Mortal Toilet Bowl.) (f. Valentine just needed to be older. I'm sticking to that. He was really cool and stuff, but he looked barely older than the teenagers. It bugged me.

I'd give it a thumbs-up overall. For a book-to-movie, they did alright. Not quite as good as Hunger Games, but way better than Percy Jackson. (And we're not going to talk about Eragon. That was a travesty.)

Music from the greenhouse scene (nailed it):



Few more days of work, then packing, then back to college, woohoo! All my friends are leaving this week, so I'll be here all by my own self.

Commander Kip
"You can hang your head out the window if you want." *skeptical face* "I'm a werewolf, not a golden retriever."
Normal is overrated!





No comments: