Monday, April 20, 2015

animation projects

This class alternates between being super chill and super intense and it's sort of giving me creative whiplash a little bit. Several weeks ago, we did a five-to-seven second rotoscope in which we were supposed to change something to make it more fantastical. I did a home video of Brennie and I beating on each other with foam swords but turned us into Jedi.



The project took about 45 hours over the course of two weeks and was absolutely crazy. I actually made myself sick working on it for seven hours at a stretch multiple days in a row, but that said, I think it turned out pretty sweet.


Then we did a week or two of derpy in-class assignments meant to teach us the basic principles of freehand animation, like staging:


arcs:


and character modelling:


These assignments were meant to only take an hour or two apiece and be super simple. I think I only spent a few hours in the digital lab outside of class that week. It was sooooo chill. But now there's this new hardcore project where we're in groups of three producing ten seconds of film apiece that focus on a common theme. We have, you guessed it, two weeks. 

I really liked that blue-haired girl I drew, who also showed up in one of our first projects, the thaumatrope. See, there she is.


Actually, both of these chicks have showed up in my notes before.



So I decided to use them for this assignment.





I'm definitely learning a lot about Flash with this project. That whole set is one very large very complex symbol, and I have a whole nother one to make for the close-up shots.


So that's where this class is going. It's a great time, and I don't even hate spending that much time drawing - in fact, I love it - but I do wish we had slightly more room in the syllabus for, y'know, sleeping.

Commander Kip
"I roll to wrangle the bantha."
Normal is overrated!





No comments: