These guys are some newly invented additions to Portals... the Whisperwood wolf pack, or as much of it as Kipin could fit on the page, anyway.
Top left: Byrony, top right: Esker, bottom left: Fiachra, bottom right: Lucien. Technically, Lucien would be the Alpha dominant male person, but in this case, his mate Fiachra leads the pack, because Kipin says so. In Zraeland, female wolves have a higher status than the males. Lol, so there.Kipin barely planned out this drawing, which is why none of them are shown to scale, and O'Darrell is missing, because he wouldn't fit. Had all sorts of trouble with Byrony's pose, but I think I got it worked out in the end. Esker gave me fits as well - her forepaws were refusing to reach the ground. Eventually, I figured out that she was tipped too far back, and tried to erase her head, which stubbornly refused to disappear. *smites cruddy sketchbook paper* I miss my old sketchbook... Anyway, that's why it looks like there's a half-invisible ghost wolf sitting behing Esker, which was unplanned and unwanted, so please ignore it. Also, since I'm doing my little artist-criticizing-her-own-artwork thing here, I shall say that Lucien looks like a bulldog. Mi madre is in full agreement with me on this point.
Believe it or not, we actually do not have any books on wolves. *snarls* So I had flip through a bunch of different nature/animal kindom reference guides to find suitable pictures. There were hardly any, hence the problems I had with Esker... that was a case where I just needed a reference, and couldn't find one to save my life. Gaah! I ended up looking at some of the posters in my room that have wolves in them for inspiration, because prior to this project, I had no idea how to draw wolves. Now I have at least a general idea of how they're put together. Another big inspirational help was Hanyousblood's DevART gallery, which you should all go look at, and drool over her amazingness. I think I gave a link for it in my list of recommended links... *dashes off to check*
Graphite mechanical pencil and kneaded eraser, because I knew I had one somewhere, and I was right.
The parts I like: Byrony's tail, Fiachra's expression, Lucien's paws, and Esker's pose. Thank you, thank you, no applause, just throw money!
Can you just imagine what will happen when Ellian and her new friends run into these guys in the woods? For Ellian... major freak out time, I presume. But Kaelo can talk to animals, the lucky rotter, and the wolves can talk as well, so no worries.
Happy early birthday present, Lady Arin, because I know you like wolves.
Commander Kip who needs to finish packing
Normal is overrated!
No comments:
Post a Comment