Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Writing bits

A snip of a scene I was writing for OYAN class. I didn't end up actually using this though, so you can see it.

Sunlight hit my eyelids.
With an early-morning groan, I threw my arm over my face and tried to go back to sleep. “Hollie, please close the curtains,” I mumbled, my voice slurring into an abnormally low octave.
The cot at the foot of my bed creaked as Hollie, my handmaiden, rolled over on it. “You are awake, Lady Andra.”
“Unfortunately,” I muttered into the crook of my arm.
“You do realize that today is your sister’s birthday, my Lady?”
“Which one?”
Hollie’s cot squeaked again, then her feet pattered around the bed until she was standing somewhere close to my head. “Little Kristani is turning seven today. I would get up if I were you.” Her brisk hands flipped my bedspread back. “Up, up, and salute the sun!”
I sat up, using both fists to rub my eyes. The sunlight streaming in through the open window struck me full in the face. “Ouch, okay, I’m awake! What time is it?”
“Time to get up,” Hollie said, bustling over to my wardrobe. She plunged her arms into it and withdrew a rather hideous green dress. “This ought to do nicely for the celebration, I think.”
Oh no. Not a dress. I made a face, slid out of bed and plunged my head into the washbasin on the nightstand. The cold water slapped me fully awake. I emerged, spluttering, and groped for a cloth. “Please, Hollie, no dresses! Today should be a happy day. Me wearing a dress would not be happy.”
Hollie glanced at me, a look of faint displeasure written on her face, before returning the hateful thing to the wardrobe and selecting an embroidered tunic instead. “Is this acceptable, my Lady?”
Just as she finished speaking, the door to my chamber flew open, banging against the wall. My good friend Arkady filled the doorway with his muscled bulk, looking disconcerted. “Andra, you’ve got to get down to the courtyard, there’s been a – Oh, you’re not dressed –” His face turned quite red.
I snagged the tunic out of Hollie’s hands on my way out the door. “Never mind, what’s happening?”
Arkady followed me, quickly outpacing me with his longer legs. “Flavius’s fallen off his bicorn again, and we think he might have broken something. Nath sent me to find you and ran off to fetch the healer.”
I quickened my steps, thinking that Flavius was always falling off of things. “Well, knowing the healer, he could be five miles off in the forest somewhere, collecting herbs or what have you. We’d better hurry.”


That's not all of it, but while I was writing the next part, I changed my mind about how I wanted to arrange the thing and left in unfinished. So you only get to see this part.

OYAN IS EPICNESS!!

Commander Kip
TEEN TITANS! (You're a weird little dude, you know that?)
Normal is overrated!

2 comments:

Lady Arin said...

eegads!! That soooo good!!! I really really want to read teh rest!!

Me + my life = no writting time
*sobs*

Commander Kip said...

Haha, I know exactly how you feel, Lady Arin. But you know what? You should totally buy Mr. Schwabauer's (sp?) curriculum, cuz it's way awesome and provides structure. I was seriously lacking in structure, as it turned out, and the course is helping tons. Plus, it gives me an excuse to write all the time. XD