Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Cave of Sighs and White Shores

Hey, peeps, I'm baaaaaack! St. Louis was fun, but exhausting. I am in desperate need of social interaction with someone I am not related to. *gasps for air* Seriously. I haven't spoken with another teenager since... last week (whenever it wast that I called Lady Arin to cry into the phone over Soldiers of Halla...) Anyway, starved for intelligent interesting conversation over here, that's me.

One good thing about the trip was that the rest of my family decided to sleep late every morning, so after I finished Soldiers of Halla, I spent the rest of the mornings getting up early to draw. We had two connected hotel rooms and used both of them like one room (we weren't allowed to close the doors between them) so I commandeered one of the kitchen tables and used it as a studio. Parked my colored pencils there, plus some other stuff. My book lamp, so I didn't have to turn the overhead lights on, and my iPod, so I could plug it into the charger under the table and listen to it with the earbuds in so I didn't wake anybody up. So, I finished a costume design I'd been fiddling with for ages; started and finished a few pieces of fanart/song art, and started another piece that has to do with Pendragon and is not quite done. PLUS, I made some serious headway on my extremely random and OOC Pendragon fanfic. Yeah, that one. *sheepish grin* It is special in the extreme. So special, in fact, that I probably won't even post it here, even though it's supposed to be fairly short. It's kinda rated T, lol. But, if you want me to send it when it's done via email, comment and say so.

Now, on to the art. Here's my take on the Cave of Sighs, from the Gemma Doyle trilogy (which, if you haven't read it, I implore you to sally forth and do so immediately.)


*gasp* Look, shading! And the scanner didn't chew it up, swallow it, and choke it back up for a change. Yay! *capers about madly* Although the actual piece of paper is much darker than the scan. But anyway, the story here is that I was trying to draw Gemma and Kartik, and failing so very miserably that I ended up erasing them and drawing something completely different: the Cave of Sighs. In the books, the Order of priestesses take their lovers, the Rakshana, there to do... stuff. Heh. The big carved hands on the wall is the symbol of everlasting love or sumthin' like that. I used my own hands for refs, by the by... which explains why they're at such an odd angle. Ahem. I tried, right? Oh - the cracks and vines came out cool. XD

You guys know the song "Into the West" that plays during the end credits of Return of the King? I watched that just before we went out of town with a bunch of AWESOME guy friends and girlfriend Gylfie (that's her new tentative screen name!) and cried a lot at the end, and then drew this picture on the trip (in the middle of drawing the one that's not done yet.) It took like fifteen minutes, hence all the mistakes.


I cannot draw craters, obviously. And the moon is lopsided. And the boat's not in the middle. And those funny-shaped things in the sky are supposed to be gulls. Eh-heh. *hides* It was one of those things where you have an image in your head that's gonna keep bugging you and distracting you until you get it out. Luckily, I was able to get rid of this annoying little thing in about a quarter of an hour, so that wasn't so bad.

Here's the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgcoBKWTW14 It's a very pretty song, but it makes Kipin cry. *wails miserably* Poor Frodo! Gaaah!

Sooo, there's that stuff. I have a very important post I'll be doing pretty soon. Remember the secret feathery pic? It's that one. *wink* Stay tuned.

Commander Kip

SPRONK NO MORE! I KNOW IT AAAAALL! *howls* SPAAAAADER!!!

Normal is overrated!

2 comments:

Lady Arin said...

*screeches* Welcome back Kipin!!!! Ahhh, I TOTALLY know what its like to NEED to talke to somebody besides family!!! Send me the T-rated OOC pendragon fanfic!!! The cave of sighs pic is great!!! At first I thought it was suppposed to be Kartik and Gemma's hand.... but it makes more sense that its just the symbol, anyway its great!!!!

Commander Kip said...

Actually, it CAN be Kartik and Gemma's hands... I made one more femaleish than the other anyway... but yes, I desperately need to hear your voice, my Lady!