Saturday, October 10, 2009

Auburnium!

Squee, I love him! *tackles* Look, I made his wings all tiny. Compared to the rest of him, anyway. He and Andra are in the Council chamber, waiting for a meeting to start. I love how Auburnium's head is almost as tall as Andra. That cracks me up. XD

Wanna see something AWFUL?!

Nath and I wandered through the maze of statues, gazing about in mounting horror. “Each of these is a Leondrean,” I whispered. “He’s turned them all to stone.”
“Now we know where all the Leondreans have been going when they disappeared,” Nath said, brushing his fingertips along a petrified wing. “It was Fable’s doing all along.” Suddenly, he went still. His eyes widened as if he had seen something terrible.
“What?” I asked, following his gaze until I saw what he was staring at.
A tiny winged statue, its mouth gaping in a terrified howl, cowered against the ground. I dropped to my knees beside it, feeling numb with despair. “Alethia,” I murmured, and traced the contorted face with both hands. “Nath, we’re too late… she’s already…”
I felt his hand on my shoulder, and drew strength from it. “It might be reversible,” he said. “We could take her to the Council and – urgggh –”
His hand stiffened, and I looked up, startled, as he sagged against me. His face was white and drawn. I tried to hold him up, my brain scrambling to grasp what had happened. Then I registered the warm stickiness under my hands, and was unable to hold back the scream.
Someone laughed. I choked down a sob and cast about for the source of the sound. On a ledge high above the floor of the cave was Fable, holding a bow at his side. “Surprise!” he called. His voice echoed in the vaulted space, making my ears ring.
Instinct forced my hands to reach around Nath and feel for the arrow I knew must be there. I flinched as my fingers found it, protruding from the middle of his back. “Nath…”
“I was expecting you sooner, Andra,” Fable continued, nocking a second arrow. “Your caution cost you precious time. I had no trouble completing the immobilizing spell before you arrived.”
He was talking about Alethia, I realized. I had forgotten her. “Change her back!” I shouted, hating the tears that showed him how weak I was. “Change her back now!”
Nath coughed. “Andra –”
“The spell is irreversible,” Fable replied, hooding his eyebrows. “And so is that arrow sticking out of your friend.”


I about DIED while writing this. Thank goodness it never happens in the book!

Commander Kip
TEEN TITANS! ("Everything is bright and glorious again!" "Yeah... can we change it back?")
Normal is overrated!

No comments: