Thursday, November 27, 2008

Irlican Beasties

Hey, that worked better than I expected...

Hi. Just so everybody knows, I tend to talk first and say hello after.

These two horny beasties are creatures from my book, Portals of Irlica. The upper one is a muc-mhara adarcach (pronounced mook-WA-ra ah-AR-kach), which is Gaelic for 'horned whale', although it looks more like a spined whale to me. Many thanks to friend Amzi for the pronunciation. The muc-mhara adarcach lives in the Sea of Sighs that forms the eastern border of Zraeland. The Farshoreans hunt them for sport, and because their horns/spines are considered a great prize. They are very fast swimmers, very hard to catch, and when the hunters do catch them, they only take one horn and let the creature go. It grows another horn in a matter of months. The other one is a gaunt, a beast of burden with a skinny trunk and muscular legs. I think it has too many talons in this picture... it looks like some kind of messed-up bird of prey. But anyway, the Zraelanders use them as mounts and beasts of burden. Despite their fearsome appearance, they're actually quite docile. You can't really tell in the picture, but the gaunt's eyes have cross-slits, which I am rather proud of.

Commander Kip, over and out
Normal is overrated!

No comments: